WOODLAND OWNERS AND CHAIN OF CUSTODY If you are a woodland or forest owner or if you produce or sell GiB products then sign up to Grown in Britain. How to apply for a Grown in Britain Certificate:
WOODLAND AND FOREST OWNERS: download the Forest application pack
The pack has several documents and we recommend reading the guidance note first. In order to apply you will need:
- A management plan
- Completed application form
- Product schedule
Send these to Grown in Britain and once approved and your certification fee (if relevant) is paid then you will be ready to promote your timber as Grown in Britain.
CHAIN OF CUSTODY: If you buy in timber download the Chain of Custody Application pack.
Again the pack has several documents and we recommend reading the guidance note first.
Starting at the product schedule we would recommend that you detail your products, GiB product category, their inputs, the outputs and GiB product claim. The claims that can be made are:
- GiB-FP – Forest Product: Where you can directly trace all inputs for a product back to a woodland with a UKFS compliant management plan.
- GiB-S – Sourced: Where 70% of your inputs for a product comes from a woodland with a UKFS compliant management plan and all of the inputs from legally felled timber grown in the UK.
- GiB-LO – Legal Only: Where all of the inputs from legally felled timber grown in the UK.
- GiB-W – Woodfuel: These products are to meet the requirements of the Timber Standard for Heat and Electricity (as required by the RHI and the RO). For this product claim greater than 70% of your inputs for a product comes from a woodland with a UKFS compliant management plan and all of the inputs from legally felled timber grown in the UK, but you can use a Risk Based Regional Assessment (RBRA) as part of your evidence.
Complete and return your application form to email@example.com. Should you require any help or support with completing the form or any part of the application process, please call 0117 958 2189.
Appoint an auditor*, there is a list in the application pack. Once the application and audit is approved and any required fees have been paid, we will issue the certificate.
*For those wishing to make GiB-W claims, we would recommend discussing audit options with Woodsure. This is not a requirement but just a recommendation.